I am posting a nice happy pic of the heart for those of the queesy nature! I am talking about surgery here, so if you promise not to spew anywhere where I could get blamed then read on. Maybe put down that snack first, unless you are a sick pup like me and you can eat and talk about and even watch surgery and such. Otherwise, may the force be with you!
So, Tues and Wed I called in sick to work (cough, cough!) So, Thursday (today) they weren't sure if I would be in, so I was homeless and had no assigned room. I went to the charge nurse to ask what she wanted me to do. I assumed it would be A&R (what Edward calls the person to give everyone breaks) Abuse and Rejected (what the employees of Edward call it). Anyway, She says to me, hey do you want to scrub (insert R.N. name here) out and you can finish up the organ pecurment (I am sure that is not spelled right)What? I didn't even know we did those, we are just a suburban hospital, not a university!! But like on Grey's anatomy when some thing new comes in and all the residents run each other over and fight tooth and nail to try to be the first one picked, I yelled YEAH!
So, to my lil hearts content I walked swift as a fox (got that from Alyssa!) to OR 11, threw my gown and gloves on the table and said Hey (R.N.'s name again) I am scrubbing you out homie G! And in I came like a busy little bee ready to get me some organs. Yeehaa!
Once I was scrubbed in it took me a few minutes to realize I could not hear the anesthesia machine, I glanced that way and realized that not only was the patient not living (yes I did know this but just didn't register till that moment) but there was no anesthesia either! Oh my gosh, kind of a weird feeling.
I got there just in the nick of time. They had already taken the liver as that will be going to some lucky soul somewhere out there, but I got to see the kidneys, vena cava, aorta, lungs, vessels, pancreas, and bowel all removed, but the most exciting (for me anyway) was to see the heart taken at the almost very end. Then Erica (Dr.) handed me the heart. I have never held a real human heart before. Bowel, uterus, kidney, gallbladder, you name it I have either stuck my hands in it or held it, but never a human heart (except for the plastic model in A&P class)
Ok, people I know big whoop right, but no fo sho, You know I stuck my finger through the aorta and looked for a slight tear so I could stick my fingers inside the right atrium and all that fun stuff too. There was still some blodd left in the vessels surrounding and I pushed that around to watch where it goes. I had to check that thing out. Oh yeah, that scene in Indiana Jones (the old one) has got nothing on me baby!
So, I was super excited. Then the resident was to finish with the rest of the bowel and close, and you know what, he was a little confused (blamed in on sleep, I call it not yet experienced) but me being a nice scrub like I am kindly assisted and told him what to do. Yeah, I explained to him how to do some of the steps and I have never been to med school peeps. I was one proud scrubbin sista today!!!
And then I was thrown to the wolves and got sucky cases after that!
Oh, but you probably want to know what happened with the patient as I did right? Well, she was older (past 65 I think), taking comadin (I am sure that is misspelled too!) and fell, hit her head, was supposed to have a crani last weekend but her fam refused, and is now hopefully going through heavens doors. But because of that her liver will save the life of a patient, and the rest of her organs will go to research.
Kinda pretty awesome right.
Ok, now swallow!

3 comments:
That is soooo AWESOME! I wish I could have been there. I'm sure that was a major rush to hold a human heart in your hands. SWEET! You are one freakin awesome scrubin nurse.
That is SO gross, but I am SO proud of you for doing it! I am so so grateful that there are people out there like you that can handle the jobs that we weaklings can't. ;) I'm proud of you!
hey, totally cool. I love that post. I am so jealous. You should have told me tonight. Oh well, one cool day at work equals fifteen not so cool days.
Post a Comment