Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Indian food's newest addict

Bill tried for about a year or two to get me to try Indian food and I just had no intrest what so ever. But then someone from work was talking about getting Indian take out and they were going to order the chicken. My little ears perked up...I didn't know they had chicken! I thought it was vegetarian or lamb! So, I finally told Bill I would try it, it took a while for him to believe me, but he took me to my first Indian restaraunt. It was alright, I ordered mild spiciness and it was too mild, and Bill's food was too hot. I felt like goldilocks. I needed to find the just right meal for me to enjoy. We tried another place and Bill told me to get the chicken tikka masala. It's been love ever since. And now I know how to make it my self!
ingredients;
4 chicken breast
salt, ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric,
Masala Seasoning (at a Indian market, or google how to make your own)
Tikka paste (at an Indian market) optional But if your picking up masala might as well get it!
Plain yogurt (I forgot to pick this up and used sour cream instead, didn't notice a difference)
olive oil
1 yellow onion
4 garlic cloves
1 piece of ginger (skinned about 1.5-2 inches cube)
1 large can of crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
1 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
2 cups rice
Fresh cilantro
Cayenne pepper
Sprinkle coriander and cumin on chicken then spread the yogurt on top. Broil 6-8 min. each side.


WHile chicken is cooking dice onion (or use a handy dandy chopper like mine. I heart it!) and cook in some olive oil. Mince garlic (or use a garlic press) and ginger and mix with onion.



Put in marsala seasoning, 1 spoon of tikka paste, cayenne pepper to taste, salt, coriander, and cumin.


Slowly pour in crushed tomatoes and let simmer for awhile.


While the sauce is simmering start cooking the rice. 2 cups of rice, couple drops of olive oil, 4 cups of water, 1 Tsp turmeric. We are lucky to have a rice cooker I don't know how to cook rice without one. our favorite rice is the basmati or Jasmine, we get a big bag of them at cosco.


After the sauce has simmered for a little bit, pour the cream in slowly and mix well. I put in some extra coriander, cumin, and lots of cayenne at this point.


Cut the chicken up into bite size pieces and mix in. Let simmer a little more.


Chop a handful of the cilantro and mix in right before serving.


Serve with naan bread.


Yum yumm to my tum tum!

1 comments:

Cheerfully Charmed said...

I love love love Indian food and Brad hates trying anything new...but...I'm pretty sure I'm going to attempt this little recipe! I'll let you know how it goes...