Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I'm in a hurry to get things done...

I have about 100 more pages left to read and study before Thursday, but I am procrastinating and blogging. Now why would I do this. Well, when I look at my homework schedule for next week I realize I will not have any kind of life whatsoever! So this may be my last post for a while. Who knows. My M-I-L will be coming this weekend. I will be meeting her for the first time ever! Yes, we have been married 7 years next month and I did say I will be meeting her for the first time. She lives far away! She will be staying with us for about 10 months and cooking for her beloved son! Whoot whoot! Along with our guest room, I am gladly also giving her the kitchen!
Anyway, I have been doing some projects to make the guest room a little more inviting.
I started with some wine bottles, and let me tell you how terrified I was when I was driving home from work when I co-worker gave me some empty bottles, and I was sure I would get pulled over and hulled off to jail for driving with an open bottle of alcohol! But I made it home with out that happening. Halle-freakin-lujah!

First off let me tell you that I did not come up with this craft. I saw it while I was surfing the web one night. I never paid attention to the blog I saw it on and can not tell you where I found it. But I did and that person is pretty crafty!
Anyway, I soak the bottles in scalding, and I mean scalding hot, water. The labels came right off with the glue.
Then I primed the bottles and painted them white.
I then placed scrapbook stick letters in the center of the bottles.
I painted over the letters with white again (this helps with bleeding paint that bleeds under the stickers, it will bleed the base color (white) and then seals it off so when I put the black over it, the black will not bleed. Makes sense?)
So then I free handed black squares. I didn't want them to look perfect.
Then I peeled off the stickers and this is what I got.


I bought this lamp at the DI (goodwill) for $4. It was brass but I forgot to take a pic of the before. I primed it then spray it silver. I got a lampshade at Home Goods for $10. Ikea sells them cheaper, but I liked the look of this, and Ikea was not in my route any time soon.


So, here is the finished project of my MIL's new bedside table
I lined the drawer with some MojPoj (spelling? I have a generic so I don't know how it's really spelled!) type glue and postcard paper (I did a crappy job, I don't have a foam brush so I just used a paper towel, but you get what I give you. I don't have time to make things perfect!)


And here they are. My projects that have taken me way to long! I guess that's what I get when I try to do them and go to RN school at the same time. Thanks to my hubby for being patient as our living room and balcony have been covered with my crap for a few months! But it is all for his mom so really, what could he say?
PS, I got my ideas from my friend Amy (her blog is in my list to the side) and from http://allthingsthrifty.blogspot.com/ I may have gotten the wine vase off that site too. But really I can't remember

4 comments:

Amy said...

I LOVE your projects!! You're too cute to give me a shout out. But this is all you Alisa!!! Great job:) When are you gonna have time to yard sale?!?!

Brandon and Cari (Sellers) Murdock said...

fabulous!!! the bottles are adorable and the lamp looks brand-spankin' new! i am quite impressed with your craftiness. :)

Jennelle said...

Cute projects! They turned out great! Have fun with Bill's mom! I bet he is one happy boy!

Anonymous said...

soooo cute! What a talented chickadee! And you just keep getting better. Love ya, Mom