Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Zuppa Tuscana

Did you know you can make your own Zuppa Tuscana from Olive Garden? When I first heard this I was wondering why, you can get all you can eat soup, salad and bread sticks for $6.95 at the restaurant. And you don't have to do the washing, chopping, cooking, cleaning involved. But then I thought about it. Yes, $6.95 for me, but what about the hubs? Well, that is $13.90 and if the MIL comes along, that would be $20.85 + a $4.00 tip, and we would probably over stuff ourselves and be uncomfortable for a few hours, and I would probably gain about 5 lbs in water weight from the salt intake and be really sad when I put my pants and wedding ring on for the next day or two.
So, why wouldn't I want to make my own? And I can control the calories and salt!

2 cans of chicken broth (I used reduced sodium)
1 lb. sausage (others say spicy is best, I used reduced fat, I may try turkey next time, I need to compare the nutrition facts to which is healthier)
2 large russet potatoes (next time I will use 3 so I have more left overs)
1 large onion (I will use white next time to add more spice, but yellow tasted good)
1 small handful of REAL bacon bits (you can get turkey bacon but I don't like it, I also have a small hand, so if yours is big, use your judgment)
a few sprinkles of crushed red pepper (this is why I don't need spicy sausage)
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 bunch of kale or Swiss chard
5 cups of water (since I will add 1 more potato next time, I will probably start with 7 c)
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
Dice the onions and mince the garlic. Cut the potatoes in half long ways and then about quarter inch slices. Put potatoes, garlic, onions, chicken broth, and water in a pot and simmer until potatoes are soft.
Meanwhile; cook sausage and break it up into bite size pieces. Add bacon to it and let them cook together. Drain. Add to pot after potatoes are done and let simmer for 10 more minutes.
Add kale (ripped into small pieces) and whipping cream and just let them heat up and serve.
This was a little creamier than I wanted, but Bill loved it. I will either add a little less cream or about a cup more water next time.
I served this with french bread. Usually you can get it for about $1.00 at the store. It's not Olive Garden bread sticks, but you save on salt and cholesterol by not eating them!

1 comments:

Mrs. W said...

holy cow that sounds divine! I can't wait to try it!