Sunday, August 9, 2009

Roma, Italia


For some reason i am having a hard time dragging pics on here to try to get them in order. You will just have to deal with things all skiwampus, cause I can't figure it out!
Here we are at St. Peter's in the Vatican. I couldn't stop looking at the ceilings and the detail and wondering who has time to do such things! You can take pics inside the church because the artwork on the walls is all done in murals (spelling?). It is all tiles set together so well that even looking up close in person at it you can barely see any lines between them. The picture to the left is one of them.







There are statues of popes and biblical figures all over done by famous sculptures.
More of the ceilings, sorry but I loved them! I can't wait to go back and go to the Sistine Chapel and see all of that.




St. Peter's square., aligning the roof are popes and saints.
Here is where the pope lives. The tall peach colored building, top window, second from the right is his room.
St Peter's church, to the right the pointy building is where the smoke comes out when a new pope is elected.
St. Peter's Square

Happy boy!
I can't remember the name of this, it was a stadium back in the Roman period, and they have built it up, but kept the original stadium shape. If anyone knows the name let me know for my scrapbook's sake.




We got to the Pantheon just in time. Michelle Obama was coming to tour it, and 20 minutes after we toured it we saw the helicopters flying above. Whew, just in time!
In all the travel videos we saw they would not explain how the rain drained out of the building, well we found out and now I am letting everyone know. There are holes like this directly below the hole in the ceiling.




It is massive!
And the hole, the famous hole in the ceiling.
Coppers!
How old does this guy look to you, 16, 17? That is a very big gun for such a young lad!

A picture of old Rome, and where new Rome is build today.


Drinking from the Trevi fountain.


Yumm-o!


We threw our coins in hoping to come back to Rome, Bill already promised we would, Yay!




The Colosseum
And some random Roman ruins.

2 comments:

Rob and Tiff said...

Wow. What a neat vacation. Great pictures by the way.

Mrs. W said...

Piazza Novana was built on top of Domitians Stadium- completed in 86 AD. I have that in my scrapbook of our trip there too! :) oh the memories your picutres give me! WAHH! I want to go back! oh well maybe some day!